Meet Attorney Steven Messick
Attorney Steven Messick
Steven is a top-rated attorney serving clients across the State of Minnesota for more than ten years. He is an experienced litigator, counselor, and mediator, who finds practical solutions for difficult problems faced by his clients. Steven advocates for clients in family, probate, and civil litigation cases, including related matters such as trust and estate litigation, construction and business disputes, guardianship and conservatorship implementation and actions involving real property. Steven also serves as a mediator in family, probate, and civil disputes.
Steven currently serves as a Conciliation Court Referee in Rice County, Minnesota and is an adjunct professor of law at the Mitchell Hamline School of Law.
Steven is a former Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Judge Thomas M. Neuville (Rice County – Retired). Prior to practicing law, Steven served as an assistant to a U.S. Congressman, and later, held various advisory positions for State and Federal candidates and Officeholders.
Steven resides in Woodbury, Minnesota with his wife and three young children.
- Hamline University, Saint Paul, MN – B.A.
- Hamline University School of Law – Dispute Resolution Institute – Certificate in Dispute Resolution
- Hamline University School of Law, Saint Paul, MN – J.D. magna cum laude
You Can Count On
- Supreme Court of Minnesota
- Supreme Court of North Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Resolved a highly contested family trust involving farmland and equipment. Significant pre-trial litigation and motion hearings, which were resolved in client’s favor.
- Appointed as a Special Master in contested probate proceeding to investigate and make findings of fact.
- Argued a post-decree motion for modification of custody and parenting time resulting in full reversal of prior custody order.
- Initiated a proceeding to protect emotionally and financially exploited person. Contested trial involving expert and lay witnesses leading to appointment of Guardian and Conservator. Multiple post trial hearings resolved in Petitioner’s favor.
- Defended client against opposing parties’ motion to reduce child support. Court ultimately increased moving parties’ monthly support obligation to client.
- Successfully defended client against lawsuit to recover farmland and payment. Judgment obtained by Plaintiff for payment of less than half that sought in complaint.
- Initiated Order for Protection on behalf of client’s child. Court granted the protective Order after hearing and modified temporary custody and parenting time to protect the child.
- Successfully defended client from Order for Protection that attempted to restrict client’s parenting time and custodial rights.
- Overturned an Order for Protection against client on Appeal resulting in a published decision from the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Collected from judgment debtor who covertly transferred real property to avoid collection by fraudulent transfer.
- Reopened four-decade old Court Order in Estate to correct legal description of real property, which allowed current beneficiaries to sell property and to collect proceeds.
The Supreme Court of Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education, Member
September 2021 to Present
Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)
Fifth District Ethics Committee
July 2017 to Present
Council Member Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)Greater Minnesota Section February 2016 to Present
House of Delegates, Member
American Bar Association (ABA)
Delegate from the Minnesota State Bar Association
February 2015 to July 2017
St. Thomas School of Law
September 2016 to September 2017
Board of Directors, Member
Karen Organization of Minnesota (KOM)
Vice-Chairman of Public Relations Committee
Organization supporting Burmese refugees living in Minnesota
June 2009 to December 2016
President, Vice President, Treasurer
Fifth District Bar Association
Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)
June 2013 to June 2016
City of Cottage Grove, MN
May 2007 – April 2012
Chairman: March 2009 to March 2011
Vice-Chairman: March 2011 to April 2012